Comprehensive Sexual Health Education
Senate Bill 5395 was passed by the Legislature and Washington voters in 2020 and went into effect on December 3, 2020. It requires all public schools to provide comprehensive sexual health education by the 2022-23 school year, with some requirements beginning in the 2020-21 school year.
Instruction must be consistent with Health Education K-12 Learning Standards, which provide a framework for comprehensive instruction and the provisions of the law. Instruction must also be age- appropriate, medically and scientifically accurate, and inclusive of all students, using language and strategies that recognize all members of protected classes.
Toledo educators have been reviewing curriculum approved by OSPI and consistent with the law. We have included only those lessons that we believe are necessary and consistent with the sensibilities of our community. In many cases, they are topics that we have been covering with students already (particularly in the primary grades). We invite parent input to these materials prior to bringing them to the board for adoption. As with HIV/AIDS curriculum, parents may choose to opt their children out of this instruction if they choose to do so.
* Kindergarten - My Space, Your Space
* Kindergarten - Different Kinds of Families
* Grade 1 - Friendships
* Grade 1 - Gender Roles
* Grade 2 - Bullying is Never OK!
* Grade 2 - Seeking Help
* Grade 3 - Respect for All
* Grade 3 - Teasing, Harassment, and Bullying
* Grade 3 - Feeling Safe
* Grade 4 - Figuring out Friendships
* Grade 4 - Your Body Your Rights
* Grade 4 - Taking a Stand Against Bullying
* Grade 5 - Learning about HIV
* Grade 5 - Being Clear with Your Friends
* Grade 6 - Gender Roles, Gender Expectations
* Grade 6 - Understanding Boundaries
* Grade 6 - Communicating About a Sensitive Topic
* Grade 7 - Protecting Your Health: Understanding and Preventing STDs
* Grade 7 - Making SMART Choices
* Grade 8 - Choose Your Words Carefully
* Grade 8 - Warning Signs: Understanding Sexual Abuse and Assault
* Grade 8 - Birth Control Basics