- Fun sex positions like "spread eagle" and "pretzel dip" allow for deep penetration.
- If you want to experiment with BDSM and power play, you can try the "interrogation chair."
- To spice up these positions, try incorporating props like mirrors or sex toys.
- Visit Insider's Health Reference library for more advice.
If you find yourself constantly sticking to the status quo when it comes to sex positions, you aren't alone. A 2013 survey of over 1,000 people found that about two-thirds of the respondents have sex in the same two to four positions.
If you feel like expanding beyond your usual positions and trying out some new fun positions, there's an endless amount you can try. Here are six fun sex positions recommended by sex experts.
1. The seated wheelbarrow
How to do it:
- The penetrating partner sits on the edge of a bed or a couch.
- The partner being penetrated mounts them on top, facing away from the other partner.
- The partner being penetrated lowers themselves down, putting their hands on the floor, with their legs on either side of the penetrating partner's hips.
This seated position allows for a new type of rear entry, which makes it a spicier alternative to doggy style. One of the benefits of this position is that the penetrating partner's hands will be free, which means they can be used for some anal play to make things even more fun, if both partners are up for it, says Joe Kort, PhD, certified sex therapist and clinical director of The Center for Relationship and Sexual Health.
2. The pretzel dip
How to do it:
- The partner being penetrated should lie on their side with their legs open and ready for penetration.
- The penetrating partner kneels and enters.
- One of the partner's legs will be underneath the penetrating partner, and the other will wrap around the penetrating partner's waist, so their bodies will be entwined.
"This position allows for deep, powerful thrusts at a sideways angle, and you have a lot of eye contact because you are interwoven," says Kort. So, if you love the deep penetration that rear-entry positions allow you but you crave more intimacy, give this one a shot.
3. The snow angel
How to do it:
- The partner being penetrated lies down flat.
- The penetrating partner straddles the other, facing away, so when they lower themselves down, onto their hands or forearms, their head will be between their partner's lower legs.
- The partner being penetrated lifts up their legs and wraps them around their partner's waist or rests them on their shoulders to raise up their pelvis, so the penis can enter.
This is a sex position that allows for the partner being penetrated to have a whole different view than they're used to. The penetrating partner's behind will be on display here, making for a unique new dynamic. Kort says this position is also ideal for incorporating sex toys.
Tip: If you have trouble engaging in actual penetration in this position (it might be tricky depending on both of your individual anatomy) you can use toys on each other or fondle each other's favorite erogenous zones.
4. The chairmanHow to do it:
- The penetrating partner sits on a chair, couch, or edge of the bed.
- The partner being penetrated sits on top, mounting the other, while facing away from them.
- The partner being penetrated can bounce up and down, grind, or mix it up.
This position in theory is pretty simple, but it's what you do with it that makes it really fun. For example, Kort recommends doing this in front of a mirror so you can watch yourselves having sex. Additionally, the penetrating partner can reach around and stimulate the breasts, nipples, or clitoris of the person being penetrated.
5. Spread eagleHow to do it:
- The partner being penetrated lies on their back and raises their legs into the air into a wide-open V shape. If they are flexible, they can hold onto their ankles.
- The penetrating partner enters from the front, facing the other partner.
This position allows for deep penetration which can stimulate deep vaginal erogenous zones, says Nazanin Moali, PhD, clinical psychologist, sex expert, and host of the Sexology podcast. It also grants the penetrating partner easy access to stimulate their partner's clitoris during sex. Plus, it provides a great view.
6. Interrogation chairHow to do it:
- Get a chair and something to use as restraints, such as ties or belts.
- One partner sits in the chair while the other partner restrains their ankles and wrists behind the chair.
- The partner with free hands can pleasure the restrained partner orally, manually, or with toys.
This position is fun if you want to experiment with BDSM, plus, the partner in control has free reign to pleasure their partner.
RelatedUp your foreplay game with these 9 erogenous zones that can turn anyone on
"This position is optimal for exploring various erogenous zones. The bonus power exchange dynamic can bring in some extra heat. For added spice, you can incorporate a steamy role-play into this position," says Moali.
When it comes to sex, there's really no limit to how many positions you can experiment with. "Keeping an arsenal of different moves will help to keep your sexual life fun, exciting and new," says Kort.
Keep an adventurous spirit and try out these fun sex moves with your partner - you might just discover your new favorite position.